Most events are installed on their deadline date, unless there is a long submission window or unless it's a rolling submission.
P=Poetry, N=Nonfiction, F=Fiction
- This event has passed.
P – Arc’s Poem of the Year Contest
December 31, 2021$35
Entry fee includes a one-year subscription to Arc.
DEADLINE: February 1, 2022
EARLY BIRD DEADLINE: December 31, 2021
Shortlist: A shortlist of 10 to 12 poems, selected by Arc’s editorial board, will be eligible for the Readers’ Choice Award. The winner receives $250. Visit us in Spring 2022 to read our shortlist selections and cast your vote! Shortlisted poets will be contacted prior to the shortlist going live.
Publication: Shortlisted entries for the Poem of the Year will be published online and in a print issue of Arc, and will receive page-rate payment for online and print publication. Arc secures First Canadian Serial Rights, meaning the poems should not appear in any print or digital publication before the release of the issue in which the work appears. All rights will revert to the author upon publication.
- Ac welcomes Poem of the Year entries from Canada, the United States, and around the world. Entrants outside Canada must submit entry fees in Canadian funds. Please use the online payment option or mail a cheque or money order in Canadian funds.
- Entrants may submit up to two unpublished poems with each $35 fee (extra poems: $5 per poem), except for Early Bird submissions, which may be up to three poems.
- The length of each poem must not exceed 100 lines.
- Entrant’s name, address, e-mail and phone number must not appear on the poems, but instead on a separate sheet or in the body of the submission email, which should also list the titles of all poems entered.
- Entrants’ information is concealed during deliberations.
- No entrants (including winners, honourable mentions, or authors of shortlisted poems) may substitute, before, during, or after judging, a revision of any poem already submitted to the contest.
- No poems will be returned.
Early Bird Deadline: Entries submitted or postmarked no later than 11:59 pm, December 31, 2021 may consist of 3 poems for a single entry fee. For entries submitted or postmarked after this date, only the first two poems will be considered.