The Short Grain Contest celebrates poetry and fiction from across Canada and Internationally. In addition to being published in Grain, cash prizes are available for the 1st , 2nd and 3rd places in each genre. Grain and the Short Grain Writing Contest have featured the work of diverse writers, both emerging and established.
Most events are installed on their deadline date, unless there is a long submission window or unless it's a rolling submission.
P=Poetry, N=Nonfiction, F=Fiction
- This event has passed.
PF – Grain Magazine’s Short Grain Contest for Poetry and Fiction
April 1 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm$40
Short Grain Contest
- The basic fee for Canadian entrants is $40 (includes GST) for a maximum of two entries in one category (i.e. two poems for the Poetry category, or two stories for the Fiction category).The fee for US entrants is $50 and the fee for international entrants is $60, payable in US or Canadian funds.Please make your cheque or money order payable to the Saskatchewan Writers’ Guild (SWG). You may also pay online via PayPal (see below). Every entrant receives a one-year (four-issue) subscription to Grain Magazine, starting after payment is received.
- Each entry must be original, unpublished, not submitted elsewhere for publication or broadcast, nor accepted elsewhere for publication or broadcast, nor entered simultaneously in any other contest or competition. Work that has appeared online is considered published and is not eligible.
- All entries in this contest will be judged anonymously, on merit alone. The judges’ decisions are final. Judging is anonymous. Do not print, type, or write your name on the text pages of your entry.
- Entries must be accompanied by one cover page, regardless of the number of entries submitted, and must provide the following information. If you are submitting via email, include this information in the body of your email.
- Your name, complete mailing address, telephone number, and email address.
- Title of your entry or entries.
- Category you are entering: Poetry (one or two poems to a max of 100 lines each) or Fiction (one or two stories to a max of 2,500 words each).
- Word Count (Fiction) / Line Count (Poetry). An absolutely accurate word or line count is required.
- Method of Payment (if submitting by email).
- Entries must be typed (double-spaced for fiction) on 8 1/2 x 11-inch pages and must be sent as individual files if emailed.
- Names of the winners and titles of the winning entries of the Short Grain Contest will be posted on the Grain website in August. Contest winners will be notified directly either by telephone or by email.
- MAIL: Send your entry or entries to:Short Grain Contest
PO Box 3986
Regina, SK S4P 3R9
CanadaMailed entries will not be returned. Keep a copy of your entry.
- EMAIL: Send entry or entries as individual files to email@example.com with a subject line that contains the author’s full name, genre(s), and payment method (cheque, money order, or PayPal). For example, Jane Grain, Fiction, Cheque OR Jim Grain, Poetry, PayPal. REMEMBER: Judging is anonymous. Do not put your name on your entry. Acceptable file formats are Word (.doc or .docx) or PDF.
- Make your cheque or money order payable to the Saskatchewan Writers’ Guild (SWG). If you want to pay online, use the PayPal order form below. If payment is from a name other than that which is on your submission, please let us know.
- All entries must be POSTMARKED or EMAILED by the deadline. Entries postmarked or received by email after this date will not be accepted.
- Entries by fax will not be accepted.