Most events are installed on their deadline date, unless there is a long submission window or unless it's a rolling submission.
P=Poetry, N=Nonfiction, F=Fiction
- This event has passed.
FN – 2022 Leacock Medal for Humour
December 31, 2021 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm$200
Genre: Book-length Humour
Runners-up (two): $4,000 each
Entry deadline for the 2022 Leacock Medal for Humour: The package of books may be postmarked no later than December 31, 2021. (It is not sufficient to simply fill in the on-line submission form by the deadline.)
Long list (10 books) announcement: On or around Wednesday, June 1, 2022.
Shortlist (three books) announcement: On or around Monday, August 15, 2022.
Leacock Medal winner announcement: Scheduled for Saturday September 17, 2022, at the Gala Dinner.
Authors and publishers must submit their books according to the rules and instructions given below. Ensure that your entry follows all the rules, fill in the submission form, and mail a copy with the books, together with the entry fee.
ENTRY DEADLINE: Entries must be postmarked no later than DECEMBER 31, 2021
ENTRY FEE: $200
Submissions for the 2022 medal will be accepted from August 1, 2021 to December 31, 2021.
- The major emphasis of each entry MUST be on humour, but literary merit and insightful comment are also important. Books of cartoons and graphic novels are eligible only if they contain a substantial amount of textual material.
- All entries must carry an ISBN.
- All entries must have been published in the current year (2021).
- The author or authors must be Canadian citizens or landed immigrants and living at the time of publication.
- The language of the entry must be English. In the case of a translation from another language, the translation must have been published in the current year (2021).
- The following are not eligible:
– Books of which significant or substantial parts have been previously published in book form.
– Collections of writings compiled by someone other than the original author.
– Books with more than two authors.
– Electronic books.
- The deadline for submissions is December 31 of the current year (2021), but earlier submissions are appreciated by the judges.
- Submitted books are distributed among the judges and/or added to collections of works of Canadian humour held for purposes of literary research in the Orillia Public Library and in libraries of the following universities: McGill, Toronto, McMaster and Alberta. They are, therefore, not returnable.
NOTE: All three finalists must be available to attend the Gala Award Dinner in September. Further details to be announced.
Please see submission instructions below.
A long list of 10 books will be released June 1, 2022.
A short list of three books will be released August 15, 2022.
The winner and runners-up will be announced at our Gala Dinner on September 17, 2022.
Starting with the award for 2021, we introduced a new way of accepting book submissions. Instead of providing a fillable PDF submission form, we now ask authors and publishers to enter the submission details on-line.
The steps in this process are as follows:
- Enter the details about your book, author and publisher on the online Submission Form.
- After you click on the Submit button, you will be asked to save and print your personalized submission form with its identifying Submission ID. You should also upload the author’s bio and photo, and book cover photo if possible.
- Print your form and include a copy of it in the package that you mail to the Awards Chair, with eight (8) copies of the book and your submission fee. This package must arrive or be postmarked no later than the submission deadline date.
- You will receive an automated acknowledgement email with clickable links that allow you to print additional copies of the form after you leave the website, or to upload the author’s bio and photo, and book cover photo.
- Your book will be added to the list of entries on our website when we have received all of the following:
- your cheque,
- the paper copy of the submission form,
- 8 copies of the book,
- the electronic files for the author bio, author photo and book cover photo.
When entering the data:
Please fill in as much information as you can, beyond those items marked as essential. This means full addresses. Self-publishers do not need to fill in all the publisher details.
Your package must include:
- Printout of the submission form.
- The entry fee of $200 payable by cheque or money order to Stephen Leacock Associates.
- Eight (8) copies of the book. ** We cannot return entered books. **
The author’s bio and photo, and a photo of the book cover must also be uploaded using our Author Bio and Photo Upload Facility
A comprehensive author’s bio must be provided as a PDF file with the file extension “.pdf“.
The two photos must be in high resolution (at least 1MB/300 dpi, but no wider than 2500 pixels) and must be uploaded in jpg (jpeg) format. The first is a portrait style coloured head shot of the author on a plain background and the second is a portrait style colour shot of the book cover. These are for print and online use by Stephen Leacock Associates and the Stephen Leacock Museum for display and promotional advertising.
Please mail the completed package to:
149 Peter St N
Orillia, ON L3V 4Z4
For further information, please contact Bette Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org.